28 April 2010

How do I define accessibility?

So far, I have been saying that a station is accessible if someone who with mobility limitations (such as a wheelchair) can get to the trains from outside the station. I look to see if the elevators are maintained and easy to find. For people with other mobility issues, I look to see if there are escalators and if the path to the trains is straightforward.

None of the stations that I have been in have benches near the tracks which reduces the accessibility of the overall system.

I base my evaluations on the experiences of the people that I have known and what they consider difficult to overcome. I also assume that if I can't walk some place, that someone who has difficulty walking cannot either.

I have not been evaluating accessibility for the visually impaired, but I was recently reminded that I should. I think that, like the lack of benches, this may be a system-wide problem.

This also reminded me that I need stories from people with disabilities to find out what worked for them and what didn't.

No comments: